Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Misconception

I'm not going to clarify anything about balloon fetishes in this post, but I am going to lay a myth to rest. And it goes like this:

"I would love to buy the Kindle version of (insert name of book here), but I don't have a Kindle."

I don't have a Kindle either, but I not only write books for the Kindle but I read them. On my computer, on my phone, and on my non-Kindle tablet. Kindle reading applications are available for iOS and Android, and for Mac and Windows. There's no official reader for Linux, but you can still read as long as you are connected with the Cloud Reader. If you can post to Facebook, you can read a Kindle book.

That said, there are a couple of advantages to print, enough that I bothered to put the short story Eric's Secret into print although it's only 34 pages. First, as I once heard someone say, the only hand-held device that doesn't lose its charge is a book.

And then there is the question of ownership. You may think you own the Kindle books you buy, but your access to them is controlled by Amazon. You can lend Kindle books for a short time, but you can't give them away or resell them.

Now for me, the author, this would seem to be a good thing. But the way I look at it, if you lend, give, or sell my book to your friends, I have another potential reader, who might recommend my books to others who will actually purchase their own copy.

And I personally think that if you buy a book, it should be yours to do with what you please as long as you don't violate my copyright in doing so.

That said, I do buy Kindle books, because they are convenient, often more affordable, and sometimes the only option.

But I'm trying to give you whatever options you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment