Sunday, June 2, 2013

Mixed Feelings About Summer

Summer has come a little early to New England, and although the temperatures will be a little more, uh, temperate in the days to come, the heat wave has me thinking forward to the coming season.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are a lot of things I like about summer. Time off from my seasonal job. Outdoor activities with the kids. Bikinis. But for a balloon fetishist with my particular likes and dislikes, summer brings several months of near abstinence from balloons.

I don't decorate with balloons in the summer, because we don't have air conditioning, and the balloons oxidize in no time with all the fans turned on. I don't like oxidized balloons, and neither does my wife (in her case, it's the smell).

And because the kids are home nearly all the time, balloon play just doesn't happen except in very short intervals. More time with the kids also means less time to write my balloon stories (although more time to write things that actually make money, so that's a plus).

So, although I plan to have a lot of fun in the next three months or so, I have to face the fact that very little of that fun will involve balloons.

But I can still think about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment